PURPOSE - Reach a new audience and increase the use by current Rotary members.
CHALLENGE - There were two major challenges for this project.
1. A survey that I conducted of first time visitors to the website that were unfamiliar with the organization showed that users believe Rotary International is a group of old, white men, in a club who get together and promote humanitarian good.
2. When surveyed, the current members of Rotary who use the website regularly complained about having an extremely hard time finding the information that they needed. They regarded the website as an unpleasant necessity.SOLUTION - Completely restructure the sitemap and all information on the website. To do this I started with creating eight user profiles to ensure that I understood the audience. Next, I took a ten page inventory of the current structure and created a sitemap (since this was not available on their website). After realizing the magnitude of content on the site I decided that the card sorting method would be the best way to parse this information. I was able to eliminate a lot of repeat information and I was able to streamline all user task flows. This also lead to an important change for their homepage that would allow for a quick adoption to the new flow of information for both first time and returning users.